Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default What fruits are best to ferment

Nicole Massey wrote:

> The first answer is a simple one -- use fruits you think taste good.

So far all of my wine attempts have been variations on mead, with or
without additional fruit.

> The second answer is a bit more complex. Some fruits do better than others.
> Fruits with a more bold flavor will permeate the wine or mead better. For
> example, the more subtle flavor of peach sometimes gets lost.

The time I tried fermenting orange juice the result was nasty. I don't
think citris fruits do well fermenting. Given that tart apples make
better cider I don't think it's the acid content. Unless oranges have
so much acid it becomes a problem?

> And BTW, wine made with fruit other than grapes are called "country wines"
> and are topical in my personal opinion to any wine list or newsgroup, as
> they're still wines.

Perhaps apple based wines are the exception to the naming rule.