Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Meat Loaf

Ophelia wrote:

> Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite meat loaf
> recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them much. Reading here I
> see that it is a favourite for many and I would love to find something
> really good

Here's one more for you, Ophelia. I just ran across it yesterday in my
recipe file. I had forgotten about this one but I trust my old review of
it.

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> I am curious to know what you think of it, i have gone through a number
> of my books and have found no recipe suggesting using cabbage exactly
> this way.

Very good recipe! Put it this way, it came out of the oven at around
1:00PM and there is only about 1/4 of it left today. My daughter and I
had a meal, plus a few snacks later. The meal consisted of meatloaf,
baked potatoes and steamed green peas (frozen).

I played with your recipe a little but pretty much followed it. Here's
exactly what I did:

- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green pepper (chopped)
- 2 carrots (shredded then minced more with a knife)
- 1/4 head of cabbage (also shredded then minced more with knife)
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS worchestireshire sauce (sorry, I couldn't resist that)
- 1 cup "store brand" dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (probably should have used beef broth)

Mixed all well and formed into a loaf and set in a 9x13 baking dish.
Sprinkled some *worthless* paprika on top
Coated top and sides with ketchup.

Baked in 375 oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I checked it after 45
minutes with an oven thermometer but it required another 30 minutes to
finish.

Very tasty though....I *will* make this again.