Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cheryl[_3_] Cheryl[_3_] is offline

Default Meat Loaf

On 12/26/2012 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>> Meatloaf is great but you can't just make a meatloaf by dumping stuff
>> into the hamburger. It's important that you have clear in your mind
>> what you want it to turn out like. I like my meatloaf to be tender and
>> a little juicy so I'll add breadcrumbs and liquids to the mix. By
>> varying these two components, you'll come up with a dish that has
>> whatever texture you want. Then you can worry about all the other
>> stuff. I like to add a can of corn to mine but that's just whacky to
>> most folks. I always add MSG but some folks would find this unacceptable.

> Noted with thanks

(sorry if this shows up twice - Usenet-news is dropping a lot of my
posts lately)

There's a variation on the breadcrumbs where you just soak bread in milk
and then mix that in with your meat, veggies, egg and seasoning. I
noted Bob T's recipe with the cooked veggies, but I've never done it
that way. I might try it sometime. I've posted before that I like to
add fresh raw chopped spinach in mine, too. Shredded carrots, too,
along with the onions and whatever else you like. I like to use
meatloaf for the opportunity to use more veggies in a meal than I
usually do. Might as well make it healthful!