Posted to rec.food.cooking
Judy Haffner Judy Haffner is offline

Default Meat Loaf

Ophelia wrote:

>Please would posters here be so kind as
> to share their favourite meat loaf
> recipes? * I have tried a couple and
> didn't like them much. Reading here I
> see that it is a favourite for many and I
> would love to find something really
> good

Most times when I make a meatloaf, I don't follow a recipe, but just add
whatever sounds good at the time, and usually comes out very tasty, but
awhile back I did have GREAT results with adding this, or that, and
hubby raved about it, so decided to write it down, and that's the way
I've been making it since then. I don't have exact measurements, but
it's hard to have a have a failure with a meatloaf.

This is "my creation":

2 lbs. lean ground beef
Not quite one "sleeve" Ritz crackers, crushed
1 egg
Diced onion - as much as you like
Fresh mushroom (about a handful, chopped up - can saute' till soft)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salsa (I used some leftover in a jar, maybe about 1/2 cup)

Mix together well and put into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350º about
1 hour and 30 minutes. 15 minutes before it's done, put topping on and
continue to bake another 15 minutes.

For the topping:
In small bowl combine; 1/4 cup catsup, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. dry
mustard and 1 tsp. lemon juice.

Judy