Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_9_] Ophelia[_9_] is offline

Default Meat Loaf

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:09:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
. ..

>>> a little of that, packets of dried soup mix, ketchup, and any number
>>> of horrors. Read on, and you'll see.
>>>
>>> Slop describes all your cooking. My meatloaf is a cullinary
>>> masterpiece, begins with personally selected meat cuts I grind myself.
>>> Every added ingredient is fresh and I use no packaged soups. The one
>>> caveat is that it is NOT POSSIBLE to make decent meat loaf from
>>> preground mystery meat, just isn't. Btw, ketchup is a perfectly
>>> legitimate condiment... every eatery on the planet offers ketchup,
>>> hardly a burger eaten without, and a burger is essentially a meat loaf
>>> in patty format. I personally don't put kethup in my meat loaf but
>>> same as 90% of everyone else I very often put ketchup ON meat loaf...
>>> can't eat a cold meat loaf sandwich without.

>>What do you mix in with your meat ... if anything?

> I don't have a meat loaf recipe. Could contain just about anything,
> what I add to meat loaf depends on my mood and what's available. Since
> I'm grinding meat anyway it's easy to add anything, just put it into
> the grinder along with the meat; whatever veggies and whatever baked
> goods for crumbs. I typically add two large eggs per pound of meat.
> I like to add some beer too. I almost always grind in some raw
> potato, maybe raw carrot, raw celery, raw bell pepper. I add some raw
> onion but also some Penzeys dehy toasted onions. Seasoning is s n'p
> of course, and whatever herbs strike my mood. I never meassure
> anything other than the meat, I never make a meat loaf with less than
> five pounds of meat. A few months ago along with fivee pounds of top
> round beef I ground in a 12 ounce can of Hormel SPAM... don't laugh,
> it was superb.

well I don't know about spam <g> but I have a nice piece of rump in the
freezer. With that and some pork I reckon i can get a 2lb loaf for a first
try.
I take on board your suggestion about mincing some potato in with it. I
might stick to what I have learned so far for my first attempt, and then add
stuff once I get used to it. I like the idea of beer too and I have take on
board the eggs.

Thanks! <saved>

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/