Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Meat Loaf

Ophelia replied to Jill:

>> I have a fairly consistent method for meatloaf and it doesn't involve
>> dried soup mix. I saute whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand
>> ("mustgovian" onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots, garlic.) The binder
>> I use isn't bread, dried crumbs or soda crackers. I like oatmeal.
>> YMMV. I do add cubed pieces of sharp cheese sometimes. I don't like
>> meat loaf topped with tomato sauce. That seems to be a popular US
>> thing. I have made it with a little bottled seafood cocktail sauce
>> mixed in.

> Somethings to think on. Thanks, Jill.

I think you might want to experiment: Try that recipe with oatmeal, then
try it with bread crumbs. Oatmeal often makes meatloaf slimy and gummy,
but some people are okay with that, especially when you consider
oatmeal's purported health benefits.

Bob