Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Meat Loaf

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:09:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> Bryan > wrote:
>>>
>>>Meat loaf is on the lowest tier of American foods. It is a slop trough
>>>where *creative* folks dump in a little of this,

>> a little of that, packets of dried soup mix, ketchup, and any number
>> of horrors. Read on, and you'll see.
>>
>> Slop describes all your cooking. My meatloaf is a cullinary
>> masterpiece, begins with personally selected meat cuts I grind myself.
>> Every added ingredient is fresh and I use no packaged soups. The one
>> caveat is that it is NOT POSSIBLE to make decent meat loaf from
>> preground mystery meat, just isn't. Btw, ketchup is a perfectly
>> legitimate condiment... every eatery on the planet offers ketchup,
>> hardly a burger eaten without, and a burger is essentially a meat loaf
>> in patty format. I personally don't put kethup in my meat loaf but
>> same as 90% of everyone else I very often put ketchup ON meat loaf...
>> can't eat a cold meat loaf sandwich without.

>What do you mix in with your meat ... if anything?

I don't have a meat loaf recipe. Could contain just about anything,
what I add to meat loaf depends on my mood and what's available. Since
I'm grinding meat anyway it's easy to add anything, just put it into
the grinder along with the meat; whatever veggies and whatever baked
goods for crumbs. I typically add two large eggs per pound of meat.
I like to add some beer too. I almost always grind in some raw
potato, maybe raw carrot, raw celery, raw bell pepper. I add some raw
onion but also some Penzeys dehy toasted onions. Seasoning is s n'p
of course, and whatever herbs strike my mood. I never meassure
anything other than the meat, I never make a meat loaf with less than
five pounds of meat. A few months ago along with fivee pounds of top
round beef I ground in a 12 ounce can of Hormel SPAM... don't laugh,
it was superb.