Wayne

Default yellow cake mix - substitute

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in
:

> From the nitpick wit:
>
> I have a question that I just know that you can answer.

Oh, it's no nit, but a fair question...

> Another of my "many" concerns is using "cake flour." I should have
> mentioned that, but I was hoping against all hope. I have not
> purchased cake flour in probably 35 years due to it being bleached,
> etc etc etc. I always get to the shelf, but never pick it up. But,
> of course, not being a purist and not having cake often, I don't worry
> about having cake flour in it when I purchase a mix -- maybe 2 or 3
> at most a year. However, I am still bulking at those words, "cake
> flour." Is there any thing I can do to keep from using cake flour and
> still make a cake. I know it will be tough if I would use AP flour.??
> Can I do something to the AP flour to make a passable cake for
> myself. Or would it be best to just forget about it and make a
> "coffee" cake instead? Yes, I could eat a lot of those!

Not to worry. You can use all-purpose flour. There are two schools of
though on how to do this, and it really varies with the recipe. Since I
haven't tried either with this particular recipe, you may have to make it
both ways to decide which you like better.

For every cup of AP you measure, remove 2 tablespoons. (That's one
method.) The other is to remove 2 tablespoons of the flour and replace
it with cornflour or cornstarch.

> I don't even use icing on these mix cakes. You gave me advice once to
> put "ganache" on my profiteroles. If I did use an icing, it would be
> something like what you suggested. One might wonder why I'm going to
> this trouble just for a cake 2-3 times a year -- well, who knows?
> perhaps I might eat more if I could figure out this quandry.

If you only make it 2-3 times a year, then it should be a more special
cake because it isn't often. That would be my reasoning. Ordinary,
uninteresting cake you can have anytime. :-)

> Thanks Wayne,
> Dee

You're very welcome! Please let me know how it turns out for you. BTW,
I also like those dense cakes that have such richness to the texture.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.