Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Meat Loaf

On 12/26/2012 11:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>>> Excellent! Thanks you) Now. The cooking bit. In a loaf tin? For
>>> how long
>>> and at what temp, please? I realise it will depend on the size of the
>>> thing,
>>> but if I put in into a two pound loaf tin ...
>>>

>> As some others have mentioned, if the meat is fatty, meat loaf baked in a
>> bread/loaf tin will be swimming in grease. Do you have some sort of rack
>> you could put over a baking pan? Form the mixture like a loaf of bread
>> and bake it on the rack.

> I do ... but it is not likely to disintegrate until it is cooked a bit,
> with
> nothing to hold it together? Hmmm I hadn't though about that. The mix
> would need to be very stiff. I suppose if I used the loaf tin, I could
> just
> pour off the fat?

Yes, you could, and I did so for years because that's the way my mother
made meat loaf.

I have since learned to make a better meat loaf on a rack over a
roasting pan. I really do want the meat loaf mixture to be fairly
stiff. The binders (breadcrumbs, eggs) help with that. The other
things are just for adding flavour. No, it can't be too moist when you
bake it on a rack.

Jill