Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Meat Loaf

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 13:13:28 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/25/2012 11:58 AM, Bryan wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:52:51 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> >> Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite meat loaf
> >>
> >> recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them much. Reading here I
> >>
> >> see that it is a favourite for many and I would love to find something
> >>
> >> really good
> >>

> > Meat loaf is on the lowest tier of American foods. It is a slop trough where *creative* folks dump in a little of this, a little of that, packets of dried soup mix, ketchup, and any number of horrors. Read on, and you'll see.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> I have a fairly consistent method for meatloaf and it doesn't involve
> dried soup mix. I saute whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand
> ("mustgovian" onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots, garlic.) The binder
> I use isn't bread, dried crumbs or soda crackers. I like oatmeal. YMMV.
> I do add cubed pieces of sharp cheese sometimes. I don't like meat
> loaf topped with tomato sauce. That seems to be a popular US thing. I
> have made it with a little bottled seafood cocktail sauce mixed in.

I used to use dried onion soup mix and it was very tasty. I haven't
in the last big number of years because I just don't buy that stuff
anymore, not because I'm so adamantly against it. And I use egg, not
grain, to bind because I discovered a long time ago that it's the
large amount of bread/cracker/oatmeal part that I didn't like about
meatloaf. No point spending time (or money) making something you
don't like and that was easy enough to fix.