Dee Randall

Default yellow cake mix - substitute

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in
> :
>
> > Does anyone have an easy recipe for a basic yellow cake mix, similar
> > to a Betty Crocker cake mix cake. I don't want a master recipe to
> > keep the dry mix on hand; just one cake at a time.
> >
> > I would like to have a recipe specifically calling for butter instead
> > of oil and
> > 1 or 2 eggs instead of 3.
> >
> > I like the simplicity of a cake mix, but don't like the "partially
> > hydrogenated oils" used. So, I would like something very simple.
> >

> > thanks so much.
> > Dee

> Here ya go...
>
> Basic 2-egg Butter Cake
>

> makes 2 8" layers
>
> 1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
> 2 tsp baking powder
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1 tsp vanilla extract
> 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temp
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 eggs
>
> Preheat oven to 375 F.
>
> Prepare two 8" cake pans. Grease with shortening, and sprinkle with
> flour. Shake out excess flour.
>
> Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside.
>
> Combine milk and vanilla extract.
>
> Cream butter and sugar together until light, continuing to cream
> till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each
> addition. Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk mixture,
> beginning and ending with the dry and adding about 1/3 of total
> per time. Beat just until smooth.
>
> Pour into the cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes, until cakes shrink
> from sides of pans and are springy to the touch; cool upright in
> pans on wire rack for 5-7 minutes, then invert on racks. Turn
> layers right side up to cool completely.
>
> Fill and frost as desired.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Thanks, Wayne in Phoenix - hot there today?

From the nitpick wit:

I have a question that I just know that you can answer.

Another of my "many" concerns is using "cake flour." I should have mentioned
that, but I was hoping against all hope. I have not purchased cake flour
in probably 35 years due to it being bleached, etc etc etc. I always get to
the shelf, but never pick it up. But, of course, not being a purist and not
having cake often, I don't worry about having cake flour in it when I
purchase a mix -- maybe 2 or 3 at most a year. However, I am still bulking
at those words, "cake flour." Is there any thing I can do to keep from
using cake flour and still make a cake. I know it will be tough if I would
use AP flour.?? Can I do something to the AP flour to make a passable cake
for myself. Or would it be best to just forget about it and make a "coffee"
cake instead? Yes, I could eat a lot of those!

I don't even use icing on these mix cakes. You gave me advice once to put
"ganache" on my profiteroles. If I did use an icing, it would be something
like what you suggested. One might wonder why I'm going to this trouble
just for a cake 2-3 times a year -- well, who knows? perhaps I might eat
more if I could figure out this quandry.

Thanks Wayne,
Dee