Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Meat Loaf

On 12/26/2012 9:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>>> Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage and
>>> onion' dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what you mean?
>>> Sorry about that. I suppose I was thinking you meant something
>>> specific
>>>

>> She spent too much time in Japan Yes, you could use that sage &
>> onion dried breadcrumb mixture. Or anything you'd use to stuff a
>> turkey

> Ahhhhh understood) Thanks I have a piece of rump beef in the
> freezer. I will mince/grind it ... what would you add? Should I mince
> some pork too?
>
> I have most veggies, I have mushroom ketchup (not thick like tomato
> ketchup) It is more like Worcester sauce, I do have Worcester sauce
> too. I have fresh onion, dried onions, oatmeal, homemade fresh whole
> meal breadcrumbs ... I have dried herbs ..
>
> What do you think? I shall try a couple of the recipes posted here, but
> for the moment, using what I have in ...?
>
> --
> http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

I would definitely mince some pork, too. Some people don't like oatmeal
in their meatloaf. For a first attempt I'd use the homemade breadcrumbs
and a little of the mushroom ketchup. Definitely chopped onion,
although if the meat mixture is fatty enough enough dried onions would
also work. (Of course the mushroom ketchup and egg will add to the
moisture content.) The herbs would be entirely a matter of what you like.

Jill