Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Wedding registries for expensive gifts.

On 12/7/2012 6:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 3:58 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>> On 12/7/2012 2:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
>>> eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

>> Becca and I did the same thing. Everybody had their own ideas on
>> how/when/where we should get married. We couldn't please everyone and
>> we did NOT want a big wedding, so we booked a wedding package at an
>> all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we only told close family members
>> shortly before we left. The resort handled all the details (license,
>> minister, cake, flowers, etc).
>>
>> It was beautiful.
>>

> That's the way to do it. If you are going to elope, take off,.. just the
> two of you. Don't expect everyone else to take at leas a week of
> vacation time and spend thousands of dollars to attend. Just make
> arrangements for the two of you to take off and include the ceremony in
> your honeymoon.

A very good friend of mine did just that. They didn't make a secret
they were getting married so it wasn't an elopement, per se. But they
did fly off to the Bahamas to get married. Just the two of them. She
said it was much easier than trying to please everyone on both sides of
the family. No bridal shower, no wedding registry.

I *did* give her one of those recipe holder notebooks with the plastic
sleeves for recipe cards. I filled it with handwritten cards for
(mostly) silly things like "Barbequed Raccoon". She was a Southern
belle, born and raised in TN. He was from Boston. They got a kick out
of that wedding present

Jill