Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Another tiny cat

On 12/7/2012 4:36 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:09:07 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >, Brooklyn1
>> says...
>>
>>> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

>> That's the whole point and reason for using a syringe; when the
>> animal refuses or is unable to drink or suck, you can (painlessly) slip
>> the tip of the syringe into the corner of their mouth and squirt liquid
>> straight in, well to the back of the tongue, triggering the swallow
>> reflex.

> That may be indicated for an older kitten or an adult cat but not for
> a nursing kitten. If a nursing kitten won't take food from a bottle
> that indicates that something is wrong with the kitten, bring it to a
> Vet.

The kitten was given to the OP to *foster* by the Humane Society. I'm
pretty sure they have vets. They just don't have room for all these
kittens, probably from strays. And foster parents are "vetted". They
try not to just give animals that need fostering to whatever Joe walks
in the door. I gather Janet has fostered animals before.

It's a tiny kitten that won't nurse. She's trying to make sure it
survives. If it takes an eye dropper, a syringe or the corner of a
towel... the point is to feed the kitten. Nursing behaviour or not.
(Cats do grow out of that behaviour eventually, you know, even if men
don't.)

Kudos are in order for her doing her best to get food into the kitten
every couple of hours, making sure he/she pees regularly. She's
obviously hovering over the little one like a mother cat. I've done the
same when treating sick birds.

Jill