Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Wedding registries for expensive gifts.

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 14:58:08 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 12/7/2012 2:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
> > eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

> Becca and I did the same thing. Everybody had their own ideas on
> how/when/where we should get married. We couldn't please everyone and
> we did NOT want a big wedding, so we booked a wedding package at an
> all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we only told close family members
> shortly before we left. The resort handled all the details (license,
> minister, cake, flowers, etc).
>
> It was beautiful.

I know it was your first marriage, but you did it "later in life", it
was Becca's second and you were both independent. I think of that
situation as being different than if you two were still in your
twenties and still trying to please your parents, even if you paid for
your own wedding. I know my DD certainly tried to please us in spite
of the fact that she paid for 75% of her very expensive wedding (the
dress alone was $2,000).