Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wedding registries for expensive gifts.

On 07/12/2012 1:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:22:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> Yeah ...... like destination weddings. My brother had a friend who was
>> upset with him because they would not go on a wedding cruise for the
>> friend's son.

> Really? That's hard to believe. From what I've heard, destination
> weddings are an easy way to limit the guest list. Of course, they act
> disappointed that you "can't make it" to their wedding in Timbuktu,
> but in reality they're jumping up & down, cheering that there will be
> one less person in attendance.

He wasn't offering to pay for my brother and his wife. They would have
had to book vacation time and get themselves back and forth to Florida
and pay their own way on the cruise.

>> It is bad enough that people are throwing lavish weddings
>> for their kids,like $150 per plate and up and the expectation is for a
>> present worth at least as much as the meals. Give me a break. Expecting
>> someone to take a week or more of vacation and thousands of dollars on a
>> cruise and airfare????? No way. It might be a cheap wedding for a
>> couple if their parents want to chip in and also pay their own way,
>> maybe even for some of their kids.

> The intent is that only very close friends and immediate family will
> want to attend and not very many of them either.

Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.