Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Alice's Restaurant

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:36:36 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> When I involved in therapeutic riding I got tut tutted a few times for
> using the term "mentally retarded" Excuse the hell out of me, my
> Honours degree in Psychology was obtained in the 70s when mental
> retardation was an approved label, and my wife worked at a school for
> the "trainable mentally retarded". Over the last decade or so the PC
> label has changed several times. It is as if each knew label is some
> sort of euphemism that has to be discarded as soon as the public catches
> on that it means mentally retarded.

That cracks me up too. I live and worked in the original hotbed of PC
terminology so I know how it goes. When I was working, the terms
changed so fast my head was spinning. I'd go into a meeting and felt
like I hadn't gotten "the memo" because I had to figure out new
terminology from context.