Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Alice's Restaurant

On 20/11/2012 10:19 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 11/20/12 7:24 AM, Gill Smith wrote:
>> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......

> It's a great song in the American folk story-telling tradition, and was
> meaningful during the Vietnam era. Many American radio stations play it
> every year on or near the Thanksgiving holiday, just as "War of the
> Worlds" is played for Halloween.

I liked that song. I still do. I have one special memory of it from
about 25 years ago. We were on vacation in Massachusetts and it was on
the radio. Then the DJ talked about Alice's Restaurant being in nearby
Stockbridge. Dammit. We had just been in Stockbridge. I had no idea it
was there. I would have gone by and had a look.

> Not Arlo's best -- that is probably "Coming into Los Angeles".
>
> Maybe you should stick to simpler tunes that don't involve social
> commentary, so you can understand what they're about. You know, things
> like "My Dog Has Fleas".

Some people just don't what it takes to listen to and appreciate lyrics.
There was a time when people actually sat down and listened to music,
the tune and the lyrics.

FWIW, I think the story is hilarious.