Martin Golding

Default Fourth of July Food

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 +0000, Tara wrote:

> What did everyone eat?

We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

Chicken shwarma (middle eastern gyros. For speed and convenience, we
julienned and stirfried rather than spitting it.)
falafel (ceci croquettes)
tabbouli (parsley, mint, bulgur and tomato dressed with olive oil and
lime juice)
greek salad (lettuce, feta, fresh oregano, dried tomatoes and black
olives, olive oil and lime juice)
baklava

We couldn't find decent pita in the northwest (all the brands we tried
neither split nor rolled) so we used wheat tortillas.

The low carb option was shwarma in low carb tortillas and greek salad.
The vegan option was falafel and tabbouli. I was ready in case anybody
asked about low fat "I'm sorry, you appear to be using some dialect of
English with which I am unfamiliar" but they know me too well to ask.

We'd been hoping to develop a remotely baklava like dessert based
on Splenda sweetened flax meal but didn't have time for the research,
so low carb dessert was several brands of not too bad soy meal cookies
from the low carb store.

Martin (215/163/165 since 4/2003)
--
Martin Golding | If there were a God,
DoD #236 | cocoa butter would be monounsaturated.