Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are you ready for Halloween?

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
>> > trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

>> No point in Angela even going, even though they do still go at her age.
>> The only thing she has ever gotten on this block was candy and she can't
>> have it. So... I sent her a card with $5 in it which was kind of silly
>> because she rarely spends money either. She will likely have enough to
>> buy a new car or at least a very slightly used one by the time she is old
>> enough to drive.

> LMAO, remembering when the 'tooth fairy' used to leave a nickel. Now, it's
> what? $3?

Oh man! I hate those stupid kid's shows. Angela watched that one called
Dragon Tails. And in it the dragon lost a tooth and the tooth fairy gave
him a flower. So she was all set on getting a flower for her first lost
tooth. I tried to tell her that only dragons got flowers and humans got
money. She didn't believe this and said that money was soooo impersonal and
certainly the tooth fairy wouldn't do that to her! She used to actually get
angry when people sent her money. She did know that money could buy things
but on some level she wasn't understanding how it worked. She was far older
than she should have been before she figured that out and not for the lack
of trying on *my* part!

So I went to the dollar store while she was in school and got her a little
flower arrangement. She also got some small stuffed animals, a Christmas
ornament, some earrings, and I can't remember what all else. I always kept
one or two things around just in case. Most of what I gave her cost less
than $3.00 but the earrings were much more. Those were an emergency
purchase when I realized that she had 4 teeth loose at once. I got them
from the flower shop that is owned by her friend's mother. I do try to buy
things from her when I can because business has been bad.

Then at some point she began comparing notes with the other kids and then
began complaining that *they* got money while she got actual gifts. I think
by then she was figuring things out. She had only one tooth left to lose by
then and I gave her money. She was not happy about that and then accused
*me* of leaving the money. She did lose all of her teeth early. I am
pretty sure she had all of her permanent ones in by about age 10. And I
think she might already have impacted wisdom teeth. She has been
complaining of pain and swelling in that area. Guess we'll find out on
Friday when we see the dentist.