Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Tutall Tutall is offline

Default Clean-burning charcoal

On Oct 18, 6:34*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 18-Oct-2012, =?iso-8859-1?Q?TFM=AE?= > wrote:

> > > People have posted here about making their own charcoal in the distant
> > > past but I think the consensus is that the convenience factor of
> > > buying it far outweighs the hassle of making lump in small quantities..

> > > There's always the pre-burn method. *Burn you cured or green wood down
> > > in a separate pit then transfer the coals to your meat-smoking pits.
> > > Again this is usually only reserved for larger operations (such as the
> > > legacy BBQ restaurants here in Central TX) or for very large offset
> > > smokers.

> > > -sw

> > What Steve is referring to is called "barbecue" except that in traditional
> > barbecue the live coals would be placed directly under the meat somewhere
> > between 16 and 24 inches. *Barbecue cannot be made in an offset smoker but
> > the resultant smoke-roasted meat is delicious nonetheless.

> > TFM

> Glad 'Fats' finished with that last line 'cause I have a video clip of him
> chowing down on mine. And here, I've been calling it BBQ because
> I didn't know any better. I thought if you slow cooked meat with fire
> and smoke, you could call it BBQ. Now I have to figure out what to
> call the stuff I make because I cook it in an offset pit.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

Eh, always took him to be bragging how he's does it the original, more
difficult way.

And good on him for keeping traditions alive along with Bob from
Georgia and the rest of the gang.

If his red hick ass wants to get a little supercilious on us every
once in a while, what the hell. We know he doesn't take himself that
seriously anyway.