Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Ricotta Pie

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : Amounts will be approximate because I cook more by eye than by measuring
> : spoon.
>
> : Preheat oven to 350F.
>
> : Cut a few ounces of cold butter into pats and place in a cool bowl.
> : Pour in a few cups of almond meal. Cut with a pastry cutter until the
> : butter bits are pretty small and the overall texture is about that of
> : corn meal.
>
> : Pat the crust into a 10" Pyrex pie plate.
>
> : Bake for 10-12 minutes or so, until it starts faintly browning. Remove
> : from oven.
>
> : In a large bowl, beat four large eggs. Add a slurp of vanilla extract
> : and good amount of zest off a fresh orange and stir. Mincing the zest
> : would be good. I forgot to, and there are strings in my pie. If you
> : like strings, leave the zest as is. ;-)
>
> If you have a microplane for zesting, etc there will be only fluffy
> zest with no srings attached.
>
> Wendy

Microplane? I'll have to look it up. I have a tool which has about 5
or 6 holes on the curved metal end of it. The holes have sharp edges.
There's a handle on the cutting part with which you pull the cutting
holes over the skin of an orange (or lemon or whatever). Strings of
zest result.

google... google...

http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-400...r/dp/B00004S7V
8

Ah! Now I see what you mean. Here's one somewhat like the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-099873...ef=sr_1_4?s=ho
me-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1350499759&sr=1-4&keywords=zester

PP
- Chris Malcolm