Ian Hoare

Default TN: Ballet and nebbiolo, good QPR whites, bad wines for a good cause (IMHO)

Salut/Hi Mark Lipton,

le/on Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:35:22 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>> The wine I sipped was the 2002 Michel Bailly "Les Loges"* Pouilly-Fume.
>> Vibrant nose of flowers, citrus, and gunflint. Ripe fruit, yet tartly acidic.
>> Finish of wet rocks and a hint of capsicum. Got nicely smoky after being opened
>> a while. B+

>Sorry, but I have to ask: where do you find gunflint to smell in the first place?

Naughty man!!! In fact Dale's use of the currently accepted terminology for
the characteristic smell in typical Pouilly Fumé, partly conceals the truth.
The use of the prefix "gun" is unnecessary, in fact. I am sure you must have
done this, if not, go and try it, because it's uncanny. Take two pieces of
ordinary flint, knock them together as if trying to create a spark (as is
done in a flintlock gun - hence the analogy) and then smell them quick. The
smell is a dead ringer for that in Pouilly Fumé. I remember discovering that
the day Jacquie & I got married. My father paid for a meal at Wheelers (a
famous London fish restaurant) and we had been recommended (by dad) to take
a bottle of Ladoucette, so being obedient (especially when it came to
spending my dad's money) we did. And the first sniff!! I understood
_exactly_ why the wine was called "fumé" - smoked.

>LOL!! Thanks, Dale. I truly miss the excoriating wine reviews that used to get
>published in CGCW and WA. Wine reviews now lack some of the entertainment value
>that they had in former times.

Chuckle...

--
All the Best