Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic
The Undead Edward M. Kennedy The Undead Edward M. Kennedy is offline

Default DOZENS OF WORLD CLASS ATHLETIC VEGANS SUPPORT ME IN EMAIL

"Mr. N.A.Cho" > wrote

> > > That's exactly what it is.

> > > You ****wit: presumably your desire to reduce your contribution to
> > > animal suffering is motivated by some moral principle.

> > Why do you think that when I explicitly told you that I am fairly
> > skeptical that there are any moral truths?

> > > It has been very
> > > well demonstrated to you that "veganism" may well not be, and most
> > > likely *is* not*, the best means to reduce your contribution to animal
> > > suffering. You /could/ pursue some other "lifestyle" that would yield a
> > > greater reduction.

> > Well, I'm happy to listen to any suggestions you have.

> > > The bigger problem, of course, is you can't coherently explain why you
> > > even ought to try to reduce your contribution to animal suffering;

> > It just happens to be something that I am motivated to do.

> > > nor,
> > > if we accept without further examination the proposition that one ought
> > > to reduce one's contribution to animal suffering, can you say why you
> > > should be allowed to let your other "lifestyle" wishes - e.g. to be a
> > > telemarketer or maths professor - in any way lessen your reduction
> > > efforts. You are not doing all you can. Saying that you're doing all
> > > you can subject to the constraint that you don't stop pursuing
> > > mathematics indicates there is no meaningful principle behind it.

> > Being a maths researcher probably helps me to have more opportunities
> > to reduce suffering, by making charitable donations for example, more
> > so than would be the case if I were spending my time producing all my
> > own food.

> > I never made any claim.

> This should have been: I never made any claim to be doing all I can.
>

> > I said that I was somewhat motivated to make
> > some effort to reduce my contribution to suffering, but also sometimes
> > considerations about my own well-being come into it too. I never
> > claimed to be articulating any principle. I simply was explaining what
> > motivates me to do it.- Hide quoted text -

<
<if you were a vegan-zombie and ate only other vegan-zombies, you would
<be reducing the suffering in the world because you'd be putting
<zombies out of thier misery.

Do zombies suffer? According to The Walking Dead, only the reptilian
part of the brain re-awakens.

--Tedward