Posted to rec.food.cooking
ViLco ViLco is offline

Default uncle ben's tortillas

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

>> So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?

> Let me rethink/rephrase this. Flour tortillas are definitely more
> pliable. Flour tortillas (where I live) can be put individually in a
> pan that will hold them on medium heat and pressed with your fingers
> until it's warm to your fingers, flipped and held for the same amount
> of time. The time is short and makes them more pliable. Flour
> tortillas soften with dry heat. Don't use oil in the pan.

You're right, it's just what I do with the piadinas I buy now and then: I
did the same with these flour tortillas and it worked out pretty well.

> Then you can pretty much make bulky origami from them. Steaming is not
> necessary (where I live). I'm sorry I mentioned it. Once you have
> heated, put filling in the center and wrapped, folding the ends
> inside, or rolled them, you can do pretty much what you want with
> them with a no-water method. You can bake the flour tortilla bundle
> or wrap

As I did. The texture of the tortillas was very nice, kind of a more friable
piadina, and way thinner, which makes it easier to use

> or you can fry it if you have folded the ends in. You can
> put cheese, olives, onions or whatever you want on a baked one before
> baking.

I wil do that this evening, with some leftvoer ragu' from yesterday, cheese
and some beans

> Or you can simply use one as a wrap for vegetables.
> Both flour and corn tortillas (where I live) use precooked ingredients
> inside them before final heating in preparation for serving.
> I don't think you can fold in the ends of a corn tortilla. That's
> where tamales show up, and they're completely different.
> With flour tortillas, think of stuffing pita, only wrap it.

Just that, thanks
--
Firma predefinita