Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default uncle ben's tortillas

In article >, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> > Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought.
> > They can be steamed just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with
> > filling and will be as large or much larger in diameter than corn
> > tortillas.

> So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?

Let me rethink/rephrase this. Flour tortillas are definitely more
pliable. Flour tortillas (where I live) can be put individually in a pan
that will hold them on medium heat and pressed with your fingers until
it's warm to your fingers, flipped and held for the same amount of time.
The time is short and makes them more pliable. Flour tortillas soften
with dry heat. Don't use oil in the pan.
Then you can pretty much make bulky origami from them. Steaming is not
necessary (where I live). I'm sorry I mentioned it. Once you have
heated, put filling in the center and wrapped, folding the ends inside,
or rolled them, you can do pretty much what you want with them with a
no-water method. You can bake the flour tortilla bundle or wrap, or you
can fry it if you have folded the ends in. You can put cheese, olives,
onions or whatever you want on a baked one before baking. Or you can
simply use one as a wrap for vegetables.
Both flour and corn tortillas (where I live) use precooked ingredients
inside them before final heating in preparation for serving.
I don't think you can fold in the ends of a corn tortilla. That's where
tamales show up, and they're completely different.
With flour tortillas, think of stuffing pita, only wrap it.

leo