Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default uncle ben's tortillas

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 22:41:01 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> In article >, "ViLco" >
> wrote:
>
> > I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them with
> > a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas got a
> > very nice friable and soft texture.
> > I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
> > deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
> > before using them some way?
> > Thanks in advance

> I really don't know what you have. A typical tortilla in the states is
> either corn or flour. If the tortilla is corn, immersing it and passing
> it rather quickly through hot oil will make it pliable enough to fold it
> for tacos or roll it for other preparations. The typical corn tortilla
> is around seven inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick where I live.
> Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought. They can be steamed
> just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with filling and will be as
> large or much larger in diameter than corn tortillas.
> The more that corn tortillas are fried, the more unforgiving they get.
> Both tortillas can be used as a wrap, but both are completely different
> in preparation. I'm sure I've left crucial stuff out, but the group will
> fill it in.

A chimichanga is fried after filling, but I only like one style of
burrito and that isn't it. I don't like hard shelled tacos either,
(too messy)., but you don't have to fry taco shells to make them
crispy these days. Like many other traditionally fried foods, people
have modernized them by figuring out how to bake them.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila