Joe Sallustio

Default Cherry wine

I have a book from Penn State on winemaking, it has a section on
fruit. It shows cherries at anywhere from 1 to 2% acid and the major
acid as malic; you usually want that to be no higher than 0.9% (9g/l)
typically, even if the wine is finished sweet.

I hate to suggest adding water, but you could pull a small sample and
add some to that to see if it tastes too thin. I suggest that since
you may have enough sugar in there to cover the addition. I doubt it
will stand 1/2 gallon but it may be worth a shot. Most water
additions contain sugar in roughly the amount you started with to make
sure the alcohol does not drop too much.
Regards,
Joe