Posted to rec.food.cooking
pltrgyst[_2_] pltrgyst[_2_] is offline

Default Circulon pan help!

On 9/15/12 11:28 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/14/2012 2:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I did read the instructions that came with the pans. Says only to use
>> low to medium heat. No pan spray and only olive or peanut oil if you want
>> oil. Other oils can cause food to stick.

> That's way too limiting for my cooking needs.

The bit about the specific oils is absurd. The only factors that matter
in liquid oils are the smoke point and the amount of particulates (which
might burn). And those two, olive oil and peanut oil, span the full
range of both factors.

As to the heat limitations, so long as you're using top quality
non-stick saute or frying pans -- heavy aluminum, thick clad, etc. --
actually cooking at any setting above 6 (on a 1-10 scale) will burn your
food. You simply don't need more heat.

The only practical effect of the heat limitation is in the longer time
needed to pre-heat the pan. So you allow an extra minute or two --
shouldn't be a big deal.

-- Larry