Old 14-09-2012, 09:32 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2011 Diatom Chardonnays

On 9/14/12 2:58 PM, James Silverton wrote:

Can I just add one of the OED's quotes:

1883 Cassell's Family Mag. 507/1 The best diatomaceous earth is the
‘Kieselguhr’ of Hanover, which serves for the preparation of dynamite.

Kieselguhr, as you may know, Jim, is widely used in preparative
chemistry for the purification of compounds. It's quite a good
adsorbent (and I wouldn't be surprised if it has been used to fine wine
in the distant past). Most silaceous soil, though, has some amount of
diatomaceous earth in it, I would expect.

Mark Lipton