Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default American beer and spirits: As puritanical rules retreat, theAmerican market for beer and spirits is growing more competitive

Helpful person > wrote:

>On Sep 10, 11:19*pm, T > wrote:

>> I had been drinking Bass Ale for some time until I showed up at a local
>> watering hole and they were fresh out. The bartender offered me a
>> Newcastle Brown Ale. Now I drink that.

>Sorry to hear that. They are both inferior products, especially the
>Newcastle.

I noticed several years ago the Bass brewery in Burton is now a Coors
brewery.

Prior to that, in 2000 CAMRA gave the following dismal report on
draght Bass from Burton: "Once the Rolls-Royce of cask beer, it
is now just a Ford Fiesta... no longer dry-hopped in cask."

The most recent Bass of any quality was probably around 1995.

Newcastle is not listed by CAMRA in 2000 at all.

Steve