Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default American beer and spirits: As puritanical rules retreat, the American market for beer and spirits is growing more competitive

Christopher Helms wrote:
> Bob O'Dyne wrote:
>
>> "American beer drinkers, who once had little option besides gassy,
>> mass-produced bathwater, may now choose from hundreds of beers of all
>> shades, styles and strengths."

Before prohibition every city had its own brewery or more than one.
After prohibition was repealed big business got the jump and ruined beer
for a couple of generations.

> Making your own beer is always a viable option, too, if you don't mind
> a little yeasty stuff in the bottom of your bottle. It's fun to
> experiment with different varieties of hops and different types of
> malts.

I only brew a few batches per year. Still I try to compete with the
better craft beers because it's trivial to make better than canoe beer.

Now there are even small craft distilleries around. I've got local
whiskeys from Wisconsin and Illinois. I've got Yule season egg nog
covered for 3-4 years at this point.