Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Ray[_7_] Ray[_7_] is offline

Default Starter won't rise. . .

It can't possible be someone throwing out the starters. I can still smell
the alcohol on a couple of the older ones.

We have had a good deal of rain and humidity in the past few days, but that
hasn't been a problem in the past.

Also, a couple of weeks ago we put in a new air-conditioning system which
keeps the apartment cooler and drier, but I've made certain the starters are
in a warm environment.

This is a real mystery.

"John John" wrote in message

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:07:41 -0400, "Ray"
> wrote:

>But nothing at all has changed. Same temperature, same flour, same water,
>same everything. It's almost as if some strange disease struck.

Maybe someone threw out your starters, realized their mistake and
quickly put back some flour and water so you wouldn't notice.

John

>"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:37:07 -0400, "Ray"
> wrote:
>
>>That's the whole problem -- when refreshed, nothing happens. The starter
>>is
>>simply an inert mass of water and flour.

>Then my guess is that a change in temp or flour or water killed off
>everything you're looking for. Odd things happen, but if all 4 died at
>the same time, it is time to start over with fresh flour and carefully
>scrubbed containers.
>
>Boron

. ..