Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default What's for dinner?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> : m...
> : >
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >> Looks like husband will start the new job on the 24th of next
> month so we
> : >> still have time to feed him some of this stuff. We had a box of
> beef
> : >> tamales that was in the garage freezer that needs to be eaten up
> by Nov.
> : >> I brought it in and was sad to see that they contain chicken
> broth. So I
> : >> can't eat them. I really wanted them! So Angela will be having
> those
> : >> for dinner. She is not pleased. Although she likes tamales she
> doesn't
> : >> much like beef. Husband loves beef but was in the hospital today
> and
> : >> long story short it is gout which we all sort of knew. And beef
> is one
> : >> of the worst things for gout. So he will be having some little
> chicken
> : >> tacos that we got from Target.
> : >>
> : > My husband was diagnosed with gout years ago, they gave his a
> med(don't
> : > remember the name) and he hasn't had any problems since then. We
> do eat
> : > beef in this house but not often, once and awhile we'll have
> steak...maybe
> : > once a month. I will make him a meatloaf every two months. We eat
> chicken,
> : > pork..sometimes ham, turkey, and fish. We haven't had any
> hamburgers
> : > since the big gall bladder attack, and the removal. We had pizza
> the other
> : > night with no affects, ate one slice and topping of one slice with
> salad.
>
> : According to what I read online he has to avoid pork, lamb and also
> fish and
> : shellfish. I have a turkey breast that I will make for him and
> Angela
> : tonight unless she decides that she wants toasted cheese instead.
> And once
> : I get her out of the shower, we will be headed to her school to get
> ready
> : for it to start then off to shopping. I need to get some more
> veggies. I
> : have celery and that is good. Apparently tomatoes and spinach are
> not. I'm
> : going to make a big pan of stir fried rice with egg.
>
> My son was once thought to have gout. Fortunately, it turnedout not
> be. He was given a diet plan by his MD and not put on the med Jaquie
> talked about. We looked at the diet and described it as "the diet
> from
> [...]

I had severe gout and had to go off the medication. Strict carb diet
instead (but also lots of low carb veggies) and no gout attacks since.
And naturally I was eating more meat with the low carb. I was told to
make the diet more alkaline so it is weird that people prescribe high
carb isn't it:

Extremely Acid Forming Foods - with a pH of 5.0 to 5.5
Artificial sweeteners, HFCS, Carbonated soft drinks & fizzy drinks ,
Cigarettes , Flour (white wheat), Goat, Lamb, Pastries & cakes from
white flour, Pork, Sugar, Beer, Brown sugar, Deer, Chocolate, Coffee ,
Custard with white sugar, Jams, Jellies, Liquor , Pasta, Rabbit,
Semolina, Table salt refined & iodized, Tea black, Turkey, Breads White
/ Wheat, White rice, commercial vinegar.