Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default What's for dinner?

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Jacquie" > wrote in message
: m...
: >
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >>
: >> Looks like husband will start the new job on the 24th of next month so we
: >> still have time to feed him some of this stuff. We had a box of beef
: >> tamales that was in the garage freezer that needs to be eaten up by Nov.
: >> I brought it in and was sad to see that they contain chicken broth. So I
: >> can't eat them. I really wanted them! So Angela will be having those
: >> for dinner. She is not pleased. Although she likes tamales she doesn't
: >> much like beef. Husband loves beef but was in the hospital today and
: >> long story short it is gout which we all sort of knew. And beef is one
: >> of the worst things for gout. So he will be having some little chicken
: >> tacos that we got from Target.
: >>
: > My husband was diagnosed with gout years ago, they gave his a med(don't
: > remember the name) and he hasn't had any problems since then. We do eat
: > beef in this house but not often, once and awhile we'll have steak...maybe
: > once a month. I will make him a meatloaf every two months. We eat chicken,
: > pork..sometimes ham, turkey, and fish. We haven't had any hamburgers
: > since the big gall bladder attack, and the removal. We had pizza the other
: > night with no affects, ate one slice and topping of one slice with salad.

: According to what I read online he has to avoid pork, lamb and also fish and
: shellfish. I have a turkey breast that I will make for him and Angela
: tonight unless she decides that she wants toasted cheese instead. And once
: I get her out of the shower, we will be headed to her school to get ready
: for it to start then off to shopping. I need to get some more veggies. I
: have celery and that is good. Apparently tomatoes and spinach are not. I'm
: going to make a big pan of stir fried rice with egg.

My son was once thought to have gout. Fortunately, it turnedout not to
be. He was given a diet plan by his MD and not put on the med Jaquie
talked about. We looked at the diet and described it as "the diet from
hell." It was competely counter to diabetes, very low in protiens and
high in carbs. Not all fish was out, but IIRC salmon was the worst. Your
husband should get a diet list from his doctor if at all possible. It wil
helphim and you know what he will be albe to eat without causeing him
nasty pain. As he will be away at his job for a large part of the time,
he should know what he can eat whether he cooks for himself or eats in
food service or restaurants or whatever.

Wendy