Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Minute/cube steak?

On 8/21/2012 2:04 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I've never had a minute (cube) steak yet that was tender, unless it was
> simmered for a long time, to tenderize it. My favorite way to fix them
> is to use a recipe I use for beef round steak also.
>
> For our family, I usually use 6 cube steaks and I combine 1/4 cup flour,
> 2 tsp. dry mustard, 1 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Coat the meat well
> with this mixture (save any for using later) and fry meat in hot oil;
> remove meat to platter. Put remaining flour mixture into pan with the
> drippings, adding gradually 2 cups hot water and 1 tbsp. Worcestershire
> sauce and stir to thicken some. Place meat back in the pan; cover and
> simmer for 1-1/2 hours, checking to make sure there is enough liquid.
> This makes delicious gravy!
>
> I prefer to put in a baking pan in single layer and bake for 1-1/2 hours
> at 350º covered. I also like to add some sliced fresh mushrooms to
> this.
>
> Judy

It sounds good either way. It is somewhat more complex than I'm cooking
these days. I had a brisket yesterday. The brisket was dry rubbed and
wrapped in foil and roasted in a 200 degree oven. I put it in the oven
in the morning and when I get back from work, it's done. My favorite way
to cook is to not do much of anything. :-)