Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Leppla George Leppla is offline

Default How much sandwich meat?

On 8/17/2012 4:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> We make an Italian sandwich every once in a while. On a 12 inch roll,
>> we use a little less than 1/2 pound ham, 1/8 pound Genoa Salami and 1/8
>> pound provolone. If I could get good cappocola here, I would substitute
>> half the ham for that. Lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, olive oil, wine
>> vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano. That ans some chips makes a meal for
>> the two of us.

> How do you know it's a "little less" than a half pound of ham every
> time, you must have a cat who gets a slice from the half pound you
> bought. Anyway I can say I've never in my life ordered less than a
> pound of any cold cuts... it disgusts me to watch folks order a 1/4
> pound of this, an 1/8 pound of that, and all sorts of weird amounts...
> and woe be to the deli clerk who dares go a slice over.

Actually, Sheldon... this time you are partially right. Our smallest
cat (Phoebe) is a Ham Hog and she gets a slice whenever we get out the
cold cuts.

But I never told you how much meat I buy at one time... I told you how
much meat went on a sandwich. You obviously got confused. I usually
buy a pound and a half of ham and a half pound each of provolone and
genoa along with other cold cuts. That gives us enough to make two to
three sandwiches, feed Phoebe and have some left over to put in salads
or add to a lunch plate. Example, my lunch plate today was some slices
of ham, liverwurst, cheese and a couple of hard boiled eggs. A good,
high protein, low carb lunch.

George L