Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How much sandwich meat?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:03:02 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:56:47 GMT, (Derek Lyons)
>wrote:
>
>>I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>>how much would that be?
>>
>>D.

>If you are actually going to go to a deli or the deli department of a
>grocery store to have the meat sliced for you (recommended), I would
>ask them how much and what kind they would recommend for a group of 50
>people. Deli departments make up food for groups all the time and
>they would know best. They can also put it out on trays for you in
>proper sizing. Do you have platters for the meat or are you just
>going to put the packages out and let everyone help themselves? (bad
>idea)

+1 on all of that. Often you can get 10 lb platters made up
cheaper than having them cut it for you while you wait-- and they
supply the platters that you don't have worry about retrieving.

I'd lean toward 15-20 pounds-- and if they give me a range I'd ask for
the higher end. There are always volunteers to take home
leftovers, but running out is a royal pain.

Jim