Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Grade School Cafeteria Recipes

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:41:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

>> Got one from the 50-60's?

><clickety click> Here you go. From February 1953. You can download
>it as a PDF under the gear icon top right. The 1971 version is
>unavailable digitally (that would have been more my era)
>
><http://books.google.com/books?id=eWcvAAAAYAAJ&ots=f6ZcWdt40q&dq=subject%3A %22National%20school%20lunch%20program%22&pg=PP1#v =onepage&q&f=false>

I bow to your superior Google foo-- I've wandered around off and on
today, but got nothing.

>Contains great hits such as:
>
>Cheese Meatloaf
>Ham and Bean Scallop
>Liver Sausage Loaf (3/5ths beef liver, 2/5ths sausage)
>Sausage Shortcake (calls for 1.5lbs of "Fat")
>Scrambled eggs and cheese (that needs a recipe?)
>Pork Apple Salad (a molded Jello salad without the Jello)
>Date and Peanut Butter Pudding
>Honey Date Cookies
>Orange Coconut Custard w/Cottage Cheese

None of those ring a bell-- but it would be 2 more years before I got
my first school lunch.

>That is the complete list of recipes. Three were discarded from the
>publication because they didn't pass "field tests" (that was 1/4th of
>the recipes!).

Wow-- I remember there being 20 recipes- and that they repeated them
throughout the year, so you'd get the menu in Sept- with the starting
dates for the repeats. Snow days threw it off, so you'd make a note
on the mimeograph--

My wife doesn't remember that at her school-- but she did remember the
accommodation for the Catholics-- meatless Fridays. I can only
remember 3 of the 4 we got through elementary school- Mac & cheese,
Pizza, Peanut butter sandwiches [no jelly- dry bread- could almost
make you not like peanut butter sandwiches.]-- Oh yeah-- and fish
sticks. I remember the tartar sauce was good.

Jim