Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic
Sqwertz Sqwertz is offline

Default Grade School Cafeteria Recipes

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:41:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:13:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>Yes folks, now you can have those same delicious school lunches from
>>your repressed childhood right in the secrecy of your own home!
>>
>>USDA Recipes for Schools - Alphabetical by Recipe Name
>>
>>http://www.nfsmi.org/Templates/Templ...Zpc01ncj10cnVl

> Way too recent- "updated recipes from the 1988 Quantity Recipes for
> School Food Service and the 1995 Tool Kit for Healthy School Meals "

Ah, yes - but that is a recent edition of "Program Aid #631 - Quantity
Recipes for Type A School Lunches, 1971", which is revised from 1953.

> Got one from the 50-60's?

<clickety click> Here you go. From February 1953. You can download
it as a PDF under the gear icon top right. The 1971 version is
unavailable digitally (that would have been more my era)

<http://books.google.com/books?id=eWcvAAAAYAAJ&ots=f6ZcWdt40q&dq=subject%3A %22National%20school%20lunch%20program%22&pg=PP1#v =onepage&q&f=false>

Contains great hits such as:

Cheese Meatloaf
Ham and Bean Scallop
Liver Sausage Loaf (3/5ths beef liver, 2/5ths sausage)
Sausage Shortcake (calls for 1.5lbs of "Fat")
Scrambled eggs and cheese (that needs a recipe?)
Pork Apple Salad (a molded Jello salad without the Jello)
Date and Peanut Butter Pudding
Honey Date Cookies
Orange Coconut Custard w/Cottage Cheese

That is the complete list of recipes. Three were discarded from the
publication because they didn't pass "field tests" (that was 1/4th of
the recipes!).

(crossposting to rec.food.historic)

-sw