Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Taste test: pasta

On 2012-08-01 10:05:54 +0000, ViLco said:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>> In traditional Italian households, pasta is just one of many courses.
>>> Turning pasta into a meal is an American thing.

> Exactly, and it is in the cathegory that we call "primi piatti", aka
> first courses, which (in despite of their name) get served after the
> antipasti. Since antipasti aren't always served, and usually at home
> they seldom get served, the "primi piatti" happen to actually be the
> first to be served. Then "secondi piatti" follow, then dessert and
> fruit.

it would be nice to eat like that in good Italian restaurants in the
US, but it doesn't work that way. The pasta dishes alone are
configured to feed an adult, as are secondi. I always feel cheated no
matter what, because I'd like to eat a pasta dish, but would also like
to have a meat or fish course.