Posted to rec.food.cooking
ViLco ViLco is offline

Default Taste test: pasta

> On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:40:05 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
>> When I was a teenager, my family had Thanksgiving with an old Army
>> buddy of my father's. Hmm, lasagna, not the traditional choice but
>> okay. Then out came the turkey. We weren't expecting that, you
>> have to pace yourself for a meal like that.

> Happened to me and the folks too. Aunt married a first gen Italian,
> and we were invited for T-giving dinner. First came the lasagna,
> then some stuffed porkchops.

Probably “braciole” or (“braciolette” or “vraciuole”) from Campania region.

> We nearly died when she walked in with a huge turkey and fixings.
> The dessert was a rum cake with yellow cream filling. We had no
> idea and, like you said, hadn't paced ourselves. My aunt learned
> to make wonderful lasagna and we figured that was IT. How she
> remained reed thin in that marriage, we never knew.

As a youth and young adul I happened to feel the same at feasts during
events like weddings and such, so long time ago I learned to always ask
someone from the catering staff or find a menu in order to know the
courses list. And I'm in the north, where wedding ceremonies are
ridiculous if compared to southern italian areas where weddings include
a 3 days almost continuos feast at the house of the bride's parents, or
another place they chose. In some towns the three days party is a
town-wide event.