BOB

Default pulled pork

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:18:19 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
> > wrote:
>
>> I cook real pulled pork fairly often. After pulling the meat, I typically
>> dress it with an Eastern North Carolina sauce - cider vinegar, salt, pepper,
>> and chile.

> Can you give me proportions or at least what to taste for?
> This is the first time I've realized chili (jalapeno?) was a
> crucial ingredient... sounds good to me!

Cayenne seems to be more "traditional" than jalapeņo, but you can try one, the
other, or both. For pork, *I* prefer cayenne.

I sent you a different post with several links that contain recipes. My sauce
changes (almost) every time I make it, but it's basically cider vinegar, red
pepper (cayenne) flakes, black pepper (freshly ground), cayenne pepper (powder),
salt, and sometimes some brown (or Turbino) sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil
(don't breath in the "steam") then cool. I usually start with 1/2 gallon of
cider vinegar, and everything else is to taste. (sorry, can't be more specific,
I probably started with something like this:
2 C cider vinegar
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt (maybe a little more?)
1 Tsp. freshly ground black pepper (course ground)
up to 4 Tbs brown sugar
if it's too hot, add more cider vinegar, maybe a little water?

Same sauce (usually add a little more brown sugar) can be poured (boiling) over
very finely chopped cabbage, drained and both quickly chilled, then some added
back to the cabbage for a cole slaw that is used *in* the sammich with the
pulled pork. Bread is cheap, Wonder-type bread.

BOB