Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.agnosticism,alt.atheism,sci.skeptic
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Dietary ethics

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:24:20 -0400, Olrik > wrote:

>Le 2012-07-03 12:42, dh@. a écrit :
>> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:50:12 -0700 (PDT), Rupert >
>> wrote:

>>> Modern meat production inflicts considerable suffering on animals.

>I want pigs to lead a stupendously happy life until they become bacon.

Pigs are sort of a sad case and unfortunately I don't believe many of them
have much positive value to their lives. They live on concrete and don't get to
root and search for food, which is a strong instinct in them. They do get to
satisfy that to some degree by nosing around in their feed though. Boredom is a
big factor for pigs because they are smart being omnivores, so they have
stronger urges to do something than grazing beasts who are content to just stand
around and eat, or lie down and chew cud. They also tend to be aggressive making
things hard on each other.

On a happier note as I've mentioned to these eliminationists in aaev, many
livestock animals do appear to live decent lives of positive value...pretty much
all of them except caged commercial laying hens and maybe most pigs, imo. Most
dairy cows seem to have good lives, though veal tend to get a bad time of it.
Most beef cattle seem to have decent lives, spending the first several months
nursing from and then grazing with their mothers. Later when they're sent to the
feel lots they get to eat a lot of grain, which is what cattle like to do most
of all. Broiler chickens seem to have decent lives in general, though short, and
their parents are kept in cage free houses and live for a couple of years. The
parents of commercial laying hens are also kept cage free because cages make for
poor breeding results, but unfortunately most commercial laying hens in the US
are kept in cages which are imo very much overly restrictive for any type
creature, as well as encouraging to a horrible type of violence and suffering. I
encourage you to buy cage free eggs, free range or not doesn't really matter,
but cage free of any sort works against the horrible cage method of commercial
egg production. I'm certainly not the only egg consumer opposed to it either.
Some places in Europe have made it illegal to use the cage method, and there's
no doubt in my mind it was done for good reason. I would like to see it ended in
the US voluntarily, but that could not happen unless enough consumers become
opposed to the cage method and pay the extra price for cage free. That's what I
do, and again I encourage you to buy them in oppositition to the cage method.
They're more expensive then cage eggs--sometimes twice as much--but to me it's
worth it to spend that little bit of extra money against those damn horrible
cages.