G*rd*n

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

:
> For unskilled labor, it's pretty irrelevant. If government respected
> the rights of business owners a business with unskilled employees
> could easily replace the droids for $3 an hour. It's a little more
> expensive for skilled workers, but those with valuable skills need no
> union unless they simply aren't willing to do much work for the pay.

That depends on conditions, obviously. I've seen labor markets
where you couldn't hire a sleepwalker, and others where highly
skilled people like machinists or computer programmers were
on the street in hordes and could be hired very cheaply. So
have most people who care to observe (not many, it appears).
It is obvious that, under conditions of a tight labor market,
employees acting together can squeeze more out of the employer
acting together than they can individually. And since the
relation between traditional capitalist employers and their
employees are rather adversarial, that's pretty much what it
comes down to: squeezing. By your own words, you're a pretty
good example of that, so you should understand it.

--