Posted to alt.food.wine
Yves Yves is offline

Default Burgundy fraud

On 17/06/2012 09:59, santiago wrote:
> Steve > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...trading-compan
>> y-filled-vintage-bottles-cheap-alcohol-multimillion-pound-fraud.html

> Hi Steve,
>
> What an article!. I guess it was actually written by someone who does not
> have a basic understanding of Burgundy as a wine region.
>
> Starting by the map, in which they say that Burgundy takes the place of
> Franche-Comté.
>
> Also, the writer does not understand that "Nuits-St-Georges" is not but a
> village in Burgundy and, as such, cannot be part of such a plot.
>

> Getting to the fraud... I agree with what others have said before... not
> very interesting wines come with a Labouré-Roi label. I remember having
> bought a few bottles in a Spanish hypermarket 10 years ago, when it was not
> really easy to find Burgundy save for Lavinia (at Laviniesque prices). And
> for the 4 or 5 bottles I tried... only one was drinkable. Not from the
> supposedly best terroir, but the one from the best vintage.
>
> s.

Well Santiago,

one drinkable bottle out of 4 or 5 is not such a bad track record for
Burgundy! With very few exceptions, I have stopped buying red Burgundy.
Acidic in their youth, they simply become dull after a number of years
in the cellar. But someone had the guts to pretend that pinot noir is a
great grape...

Yves