Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default something I've noticed about this group

On 2012-06-19 15:03:54 +0000, spamtrap1888 said:

> On Jun 19, 7:46*am, Nancy2 > wrote:

>>> That's why it will survive. *We're an elite club.
>>> We want the riff-raff to stay out. *Facebook is
>>> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

>> I have read expert opinions who think FB is only good for about
>> another 5 years or so. *Then it will die. *One can only hope.

> Remember myspace? Friendster? Xanga for asian-types?
>
> I miss the days when Facebook was limited to .edu addresses.

I assume you mean when usenet ws limited to edu.

I think FaceBook will poop out to but it will take awhile. The funny
thing is that it gets compared so much to usenet, but it is really
quite different. The intent at FaceBook is to avoid anonymity, to
become a single social entity, and to replace social mechanisms of all
sorts. And also it seems to have the involved quazi-addictive
properties of video games. Video games have shelf life, so I assume
FaceBook would too.

Except that facebook leverages so much social currency or faux social
currency. I think it's a wonder, really. I signed up early, found no
there there, amazingly marrow and limited in its utility. It's a kind
of show-and-tell mechanism. It's evolving of course and taking over
sectors of human interaction that are dying anyway--like the water
cooler, backyard or playground chit-chat.

It's interesting to watch--at some distance, mind you!