Posted to alt.food.wine

Default On the darkening of Pinot Noir fruit ('07 Amisfield)

On 6/12/12 11:29 AM, lleichtman wrote:

>> Hi Mark-I too have observed this trend. I made a couple of
>> assumptions based on nothing more than my own observations. I think
>> that "Parker" and many critics likes this style of pinot better than
>> the red fruited style so the growers and vintners tend to be moving to
>> that clonal selection more and more. Personally I like it when it's
>> well made and to me represents the difference (very generally
>> speaking) between Cote de Nuits and Cote de Beaune. Unfortunately too
>> many times the vintners go overboard (think Aubert or Marcassin) and
>> produce over extracted over oaked monstrous pinots that are closer to
>> Syrah in nature than Pinot Noir. Just my 2 cents.

> I also wonder about some of the wine makers adding Syrah to the blend
> and getting the darker color and deeper but less fresh taste. If it is
> just clonal selection, my preference is to go back to the older
> lighter colored style as I find many of the pinots becoming much more
> tannic and longer to resolve. Of course, my preference in Burgundy is
> Cote de Nuits.

Gentlemen,
I appreciate the responses, but suspect that we're talking at
cross-purposes. I agree about the overextracted, Syrah wannabe PNs, but
what I'm talking about here is a PN that starts out its life (at
release) as a red-fruited, light and bright wine but becomes, after a
few years of bottle age, a darker-fruited, deeper and less bright wine.
Does this ring any bells with you?

Mark Lipton