Posted to alt.food.wine
lleichtman lleichtman is offline

Default On the darkening of Pinot Noir fruit ('07 Amisfield)

On Jun 12, 8:26*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 12:12*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > Jean and I have found over the past few years that we've gravitated
> > toward the red-fruited end of the Pinot Noir fruit spectrum, preferring
> > by-and-large the bright, juicy, red-fruited version of the grape. *Since
> > then, I've noticed a trend in those same wines: as they get older, the
> > fruit becomes darker (usually more in the vein of black cherry) and the
> > wine takes on greater depth and richness at the expense of freshness.
> > We have observed this with Pinot Noir from various regions (Burgundy,
> > California and New Zealand). *Our most recent case in point was
> > tonight's wine:

> > 2007 Amisfield Pinot Noir (Central Otago)
> > nose: initially sappy, black cherry, growing spicy with time
> > palate: smooth, velvety tannins, medium body, balanced acidity

> > We've had a few bottles of this wine, as well as the '08 version while
> > in Australia, and it has grown distinctly darker over time, veering from
> > red cherry to black cherry.

> > So, my questions for everyone a

> > 1. *Have others observed this phenomenon?
> > 2. *If so, how do others feel about this transformation of the grape?

> > Mark Lipton

> Hi Mark-I too have observed this trend. *I made a couple of
> assumptions based on nothing more than my own observations. *I think
> that "Parker" and many critics likes this style of pinot better than
> the red fruited style so the growers and vintners tend to be moving to
> that clonal selection more and more. *Personally I like it when it's
> well made and to me represents the difference (very generally
> speaking) between Cote de Nuits and Cote de Beaune. *Unfortunately too
> many times the vintners go overboard (think Aubert or Marcassin) and
> produce over extracted over oaked monstrous pinots that are closer to
> Syrah in nature than Pinot Noir. *Just my 2 cents.

I also wonder about some of the wine makers adding Syrah to the blend
and getting the darker color and deeper but less fresh taste. If it is
just clonal selection, my preference is to go back to the older
lighter colored style as I find many of the pinots becoming much more
tannic and longer to resolve. Of course, my preference in Burgundy is
Cote de Nuits.