Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default On the darkening of Pinot Noir fruit ('07 Amisfield)

On Jun 12, 12:12*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Jean and I have found over the past few years that we've gravitated
> toward the red-fruited end of the Pinot Noir fruit spectrum, preferring
> by-and-large the bright, juicy, red-fruited version of the grape. *Since
> then, I've noticed a trend in those same wines: as they get older, the
> fruit becomes darker (usually more in the vein of black cherry) and the
> wine takes on greater depth and richness at the expense of freshness.
> We have observed this with Pinot Noir from various regions (Burgundy,
> California and New Zealand). *Our most recent case in point was
> tonight's wine:
>
> 2007 Amisfield Pinot Noir (Central Otago)
> nose: initially sappy, black cherry, growing spicy with time
> palate: smooth, velvety tannins, medium body, balanced acidity
>
> We've had a few bottles of this wine, as well as the '08 version while
> in Australia, and it has grown distinctly darker over time, veering from
> red cherry to black cherry.
>
> So, my questions for everyone a
>
> 1. *Have others observed this phenomenon?
> 2. *If so, how do others feel about this transformation of the grape?
>
> Mark Lipton

Hi Mark-I too have observed this trend. I made a couple of
assumptions based on nothing more than my own observations. I think
that "Parker" and many critics likes this style of pinot better than
the red fruited style so the growers and vintners tend to be moving to
that clonal selection more and more. Personally I like it when it's
well made and to me represents the difference (very generally
speaking) between Cote de Nuits and Cote de Beaune. Unfortunately too
many times the vintners go overboard (think Aubert or Marcassin) and
produce over extracted over oaked monstrous pinots that are closer to
Syrah in nature than Pinot Noir. Just my 2 cents.